Monday, April 23, 2007

Sadness

Tonight I'm sad...horribly sad and a bit shaken.

I'm feeling this way because I realized how important authors have been in my life and the impact they've had. Two of my favorite's have died this week.

I discovered one, Kurt Vonnegut long ago when I was 12 years old....I'll never forget reading and re-reading Slauterhouse Five...I was absolutely fascinated and have continued my infatuation with him since. Unable to understand him completely, trying desperately to find the focus and when doing so, completely surrendering to it. The other died this morning, David Halberstam, who I found in the 70's when I was researching a paper on the Vietnam War and awaiting news about my brother being "called" to service. This war, had impact on those of us in our mid 40's more so than we realize.

Both have played a major role in my life, I've had many a discussion based on what I read in their respective books.

I'll miss them both terribly...

No comments: